Sunday 22 April 2012

Happy days

I can’t believe it’s been nearly a month since my last blog and it is now already nearing the end of April. I have had a wonderful few weeks enjoying time with my visitors and showing them what I am up to here. I have them to blame (my brother and then my friend Leah and then my mum!) for distracting me from my duties of blogging but it has been fun to have such special people to me being able to come visit, see where I am and to experience a little of my day to day life here. I know when I reach home it will be so good for me to have them to speak to about the things I have seen and done here.


At the Source of The Nile
So, two days after my brother left I then got to have my lovely friend Leah come to visit me for 10 days.  I had such fun with her here and we had a really special time together. We were able to spend some time at the orphanage as well as some time out and about. Leah had brought a lot of goodies for the children and for me :) and had a bulging case which incidentally went home almost empty!! Leah loved the kids and managed to fit lots of cuddles in with all of the babies as well as getting a small taster of Social Work in Africa. It’s certainly very different to her Social Work in the UK!

 


















One of my favourite parts of Leah’s visit was when she treated me to two nights away at a local tourist guest lodge. We got to stay in an amazing tent (a posh one with a roof, semi solid walls and an amazing shower!) overlooking the River Nile. We spent time relaxing,  quad bike riding, reading, swimming, watching some beautiful African sunsets and enjoying some great food. Thank you Leah for my mini break!

Viewing the sunset over The Nile from the hammock outside our tent



On Leah’s last day my mum joined us so the three of us were able to celebrate my birthday in Kampala. I had such a special African birthday with two very special people. At my request they took me for a pedicure, a movie and a wonderful dinner.


Birthday pedicure!





Sadly Leah’s 10 days went far too quickly and before I knew it I was back at the airport waving her off but grateful that when I come home, my closest friend will ‘get it’ when I am chatting about all my African adventures, my highs and lows and as I try to readjust to life at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment