Saturday 24 March 2012

Special People - Phillip

The next very special person I would like to tell you about today is Phillip.


Phillip is one of our HIV children. He has lived at GSF since he was a baby and is known as a miracle child! His medical and nursing files are as big as encyclopaedias and he has had many ‘close calls’ where those at GSF were told that his time had come.

I have got to know Phillip well. We have attended many hospital appointments together, sat together on multiple journeys to and from Kampala reading books and laughing. He comes to my house each day for lunch as the HIV children here are provided with a nutritional meal at lunchtime which supplements the porridge, posho and beans that everyone here eats daily. Phillip will come to my house at 6.55pm most days, greets me with a smile and then races me to his house where I will administer his medication. He ‘wins’ me most days! The racing is a new development and something that we are so happy to see as it was only 5 months ago that we were told he was seriously ill.


In mid-October I sat in a clinic consultation room with Phillip while the doctor explained to me that he probably had a severe type of pneumonia called PCP and would be unlikely to survive the night. I was asked to make phone calls back to GSF to prepare others and to call in his extended family to see him. We prayed for a miracle and it was at this point I was told the history of Phillips’ illness and how many times in his short life he had suffered and been close to death. Phillip survived that illness in October. He was in hospital for almost a month and was discharged at the end of November. At his discharge he was not better. The doctors didn't really know what else to do so sent him back to us 'hoping' that he would get stronger but warning us that his immune system was very low and during those first few weeks we travelled a very bumpy road. Since then has gone from strength to strength. He has put on 10 kgs in the last 3 months! During the Christmas holidays he took part in a basketball training course and now plays football daily (the missionaries that have been here a long time cannot remember him ever doing any sport). He eats Amanda and I out of house and home (he literally does eat 1kg worth of food each lunchtime – we weigh him before and after eating!).  He attends school each day for full days. He makes me laugh and he makes me scared because as soon as he gets a cough or a sniffle or we think he is becoming unwell again!! He is beautiful and I am so grateful I get to chase him round my house everyday trying to shower him with kisses! He is an inspiration and I can’t stop thinking what God has in store for this wonderful boy. To have come through so much and for God not to have taken him home yet at each severe illness there must be something good ahead for Phillip!


They say a picture tells a thousand stories….
I couldn’t choose which of my photos to share with you so thought I would share a lot! Please keep Phillip in your prayers as you look through these photos. He is still at risk of picking up infections and always has a suppressed immune system. He takes 8-10 tablets every morning and evening and hardly ever complains about this. He amazes me at his resilience and love for life. 


August 2011

August 2011

September 2011



September 2011


November 2011

December 2011

February 2012

March 2012

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderfull ministry you have Katie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, I can see why Phillip is one of your special people. He has been through so much. I remember your phone call when the Doctor didnt think he would pull through the night. And yet, God has answered our prayers and Phillip bounces back to continue to enjoy life. Tell him I am bringing some "red snakes" (strawberry laces) for him to enjoy! I am continuing to pray for him too. Love and hugs Mum x x

    ReplyDelete