Thursday 22 March 2012

In the jungle, the mighty jungle....




Sunrise over Murchison Falls Game Park

Last week I enjoyed having my brother Andrew visiting me. We had a fabulous 10 days in Uganda. I really enjoyed showing him where I live, what I am doing and for him to meet all the wonderful children at GSF. We were also able to do the tourist 'thing' for a few days and it was lovely to show him a little of Africa.



The highlight of his stay was being on safari. We visited Murchison Falls which Andrew reliably informed me was the backdrop in the movie 'The African Queen' staring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. The falls were beautiful and powerful and we were able to trek near the top of the falls and get some great views of the game park. The tour of the game park and the boat ride up the Nile was also amazing and we saw elephants, giraffe's, Hippo's, Crocodile's Baboons and Warthogs to name a few. However, the Lion must have been sleeping as he was no-where to be seen!


A highlight for us was staying in the safari tent and coming out of the tent at night when we heard a lot of commotion and the words "Hippo"! As we stuck our heads out of the tent we saw a very large hippo grazing very close to our tent. We took the advice we had been given not to disturb it or to use flash photography (sadly no photos for evidence!) and snuck back inside the canvas. It was a new experience laying in bed trying to sleep as you hear a hippo munching the grass and snorting as it moves along the side of the tent!!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Katie, What an amazing experience and fantastic memories you and Andrew will have of Africa. I have spoken to Andrew since he arrived home and he tells me how much he enjoyed being with you and the children in GSF. I am looking forward to seeing the photos from his trip. Love Mum x

    ReplyDelete