Monday 30 April 2012

Special People - Jaja Mary and Nanna Stephens

This month I wanted to talk to you about a very special lady I have met in Uganda called Jaja (grandmother) Mary. Jaja Mary has been around GSF for years. She used to be the matron of GSF many years ago and from I hear she kept a firm control on things! The men who work at GSF and used to live in the orphanage are all still treated by Jaja Mary as her 'boys' and she will look them up each time she visits and keeps them all in check.



Since being at GSF I have got to know Jaja Mary and have come to know what a kind, gentle and fun spirited lady she is. She is a Godly inspiration to me and I love every meeting we have. She brightens the room when she arrives and is loved by everyone at GSF. She will not tell anyone her age and amazes me that despite her advanced years she can still walk for miles and hop on and off of bodas to get around the village. 



Jaja Mary has become like my Ugandan grandmother and I enjoy spending time with her and despite not being able to speak much of the same language together we enjoy sharing smiles, holding hands, hugging and just laughing together.



This brings me onto another special grandmother. Whilst having written this blog I have come home for a couple of weeks since hearing the news of my very dear Nanna who died aged 90yrs on the 28th April 2012. My Nanna was a strong Christian lady who I know right now is singing, dancing and celebrating in heaven with her Jesus. For years she has talked about going 'home', it is something she has lived for. My nan has been an amazing inspiration and Christian role model to me and I know just how privileged I have been to have had such an amazing grandmother who has taught me about being cheerful and trusting in God no matter what the situation.



I have been so grateful that I have had this time at home with my family. It has been amazing to ready the encouraging words of condolence we have been sent in cards and to meet people in town who have shared their own memories of my Nan. Everyone who knew her remembers her wonderful smile, cheerful spirit, kindness, humble nature and most importantly her faith, trust and belief in God. I have been blessed to have had such a wonderful Nanna who has over the years loved me, cared for me, encouraged me, taught me about the Word of God and been an inspiration for me. As we prepare for her celebration and thanksgiving service I can look back on so many memories of precious moments I had with this amazing lady.


Kitty Stephens
31/07/21 - 28/04/12

These words describe my beautiful Nanna;

"What does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6 v 8





3 comments:

  1. Special, special people... you're so special too... loving seeing you these last few days. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the possibility of meeting some of your 'special people' in June.
    God bless
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Katie, it was wonderful to have you home with the family during this sad time and also so you could be at dear Nanna's Thanksgiving Service to Celebrate her wonderful life. Nanna would be so proud of all you are doing. Keep up the good work and give Jaja Mary a big hug from me! Love and hugs Mum x

    ReplyDelete