Monday 23 April 2012

''What happened to the road?!'


Then it was my Mum’s turn to see Africa! My mum made us laugh from the moment she arrived. As we pulled out of the airport we drove onto a dirt road to which my mum exclaimed, “Oh my goodness, what has happened to the road?!” We couldn’t stop laughing at her shock. I explained that 'This is Africa' and roads just happen to be full of mud and pot holes. Our taxi driver really laughed. I think she made his day!


As I said my mum arrived during Leah’s last couple of days here and after waving Leah off at the airport I took my mum on the journey from Entebbe back to GSF. It was great for me to experience Uganda again through someone else’s eyes. I have become used to the roads, the unrefrigerated butchers huts with meat hanging in the sun, the children waving and shouting ‘Muzungu’ as we pass, the beautiful scenery and sugar cane fields. It was lovely to see this all again with new eyes, much like I did on that first journey I made to the orphanage when I first arrived. As we arrived my mum had ‘The Greeting’ at the gate with the children singing and dancing to welcome her in. We then spent the next few hours unpacking her 2 very heavy suitcases. In her cases she had lots of lovely gifts for the children and I and I got to enjoy a second birthday celebration opening many, many cards and presents from friends and family. Thank you to all those who sent special parcels with my mum!!

Crossing the Equator
Beautiful Volcanic Craters
My mum’s two weeks were spent playing with the children, cuddling many babies, working in the nursery school on site and leaning how they teach ‘African stlye’, being the nurses assistant (and what a good she did – she even helped me diagnose one day after having poured over medical books with me looking for a diagnosis!) and experiencing safari!

We went to Queen Elizabeth Safari Park for a few days for our safari, which was beautiful. It’s in the west of Uganda near the Congo border and surrounded by the Rwenzori Mountains. The scenery was amazing and we were really fortunate to be on a tour with 6 other wonderful and very fun people. Three Spaniards who were taking a break from their roles working for MSF in Sudan, a Belgium who was touring Africa and had one big camera with a massive zoom! – We all had a good peak at the animals close up every time he spotted something on the game drive. Also an American guy who is travelling around East Africa writing the history of the national parks as part of his PHD. We were blessed to be with such a great group of people and enjoyed fun filled days together and great evenings in the lodge chatting over dinner.
A Lion very far off but still a lion!

After a dangerous game of hungry hippos!
At the Queens lookout over Queen Elizabeth National Park
Three Wise Monkeys!
Before I knew it my mum’s two weeks had flown by and we had to say goodbye at the airport. Goodbyes are always the hardest :(


2 comments:

  1. I have just been hearing some of the stories today from you mum, looking forward to hearing more, oh & told jo you loved the smell of her washing!! lol Hope you are well, love Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, I enjoyed such an amazing two weeks with you and the time went too quickly. I loved meeting all the children and being in the school with Teacher Ruth. The babies are goegeous and I enjoyd my cuddles! It was brilliant seeing all the work you do and meeting all the staff at GSF who care for the children so wonderfully. Love Mum x x x

    ReplyDelete