Monday 27 February 2012

Special People - Betty


There are 5 people I thought I should tell you about. Each of them in their own way has become a friend of mine having touched my life, made my days better and easier, supported me, helped me see life through different eyes and appreciate what I have. I have only been here 7 months but these 5 stand out and make me smile when I see them in my day-to-day movements around GSF.

I will tell you about one special person a month from now until when I finish my time here. 

Today I am going to start with Betty...



Betty is a beautiful lady and very special. She is my house helper and I see her everyday. She arrives at the house at 8am on the dot with a smile and a warm greeting. I am yet, in all this time to see this lady grumpy! She works hard cooking, cleaning our house and looking after Amanda, I and the 6 HIV kids that we feed each lunchtime in our home.

At Christmas Betty invited Amanda, our friend Debbie and I to her home for lunch. After the meal we offered to help the family clear up, to which Betty’s daughter declined our help and said in response to there being a lot of mess; “It’s a blessing, not a burden”. The family had been so pleased to have us they had felt blessed to have lots of dishes to wash because it had been the result of a wonderful afternoon. I learnt a lot from Betty and her family that afternoon about how I should view my so-called burdens! Betty has a gentle, kind and compassionate heart and I enjoy seeing her every day. She knows what we like to eat and drink and remembers this so that we have our favourites in the fridge even for when she isn’t there (passion fruit juice being my no 1!!).


Betty blesses our home in so many ways and I am going to miss her smiling face and this kind & thoughtful lady tremendously when I leave. 




2 comments:

  1. Passion fruit juice is awesome!

    And thank you for sharing the story again about work being a blessing and not a burden...I needed the reminder...so you can tell Betty she ministered to someone all the way in North Carolina in the US :)

    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, I am so pleased to read how Betty looks after you. She sounds such a sweet lady and I look forward to meeting her on my visit to Uganda. Not long now ... Love and hugs Mum x x x

    ReplyDelete