Saturday 19 May 2012

Goodbye is not forever

I was reading a friends blog this week which was about goodbyes and it got me thinking about this phrase, 'Goodbye is not forever'.


Having just been in the UK for my Nan's funeral it made me smile to think that the goodbye I have just said is only temporary and that one day soon I will see my beautiful Nanna again. On that day I will be able to hold her hands, sing, praise and dance together with my Nan celebrating for an eternity with Jesus. As I sang the song 'Happy Day' in our devotions last night I was encouraged by the words; "When we stand in that place, free at last meeting face to face, I am yours, Jesus you are mine.  Endless joy, perfect peace, earthly pain finally will cease, as we celebrate Jesus is alive".
Our goodbye not forever, for now, it is just temporary.


Whilst I was at the airport last week saying goodbye to my Mum, Dad and best friend I must admit I got a little choked up.The parting was sad especially after having such an emotional and hard two weeks together but this was eased with the thought that I will be with them again in 8 weeks. 
Saying goodbye is not forever, we will see each other again very soon.


As I arrived back to GSF it was with joy but also with a slightly saddened heart. I know that my last weeks will go by quickly and that time is short. As I am arriving I am preparing myself  to say my goodbyes to all of the children and friends I have made here. I am already thinking about the things I need to do in order to wind my nursing roles down and preparing to hand jobs over to others so that they can continue well when I am gone. I have however come back refreshed and ready to "finish well". This phrase is one that has been going through my head in the UK and now I am back here at GSF, I want to finish well.  I want to get to the end of this assignment having done my best and achieved to the best I can. In Philippians 3 Paul talks about pressing on towards the goal (our ultimate goal - being with Jesus forever) and running the race. Paul's eyes were fixed upon this goal and nothing was going to distract him from it. In my last few weeks I want to complete this part of my race well, to not loose focus and not be distracted by sadness, emotions, tiredness, or other obstacles that may come along to put me off course.


I want to finish well so I am going to make every effort to make the most of every interaction I have, every smile I see, each wound I bandage, every hand shake I give, every stomach ache I treat, each meal time I enjoy and every hug I share with those I am with here. I am going to strive to do my best in my workplace and in handing over a solid and efficient nursing service and in those times where I feel the sadness in my heart of moving on what I need to cherish are the simple but precious moments I have had over the months here. Those moments that sometimes just pass by as usual events of the day but are actually special memories. I have already been blessed with a plethora of these and can instantly come up with memory from a few months ago which makes me smile each time I think of it. I remember being at one of the children's houses for dinner one evening after eating together  Amanda and I were playing with the little girls. Somebody got tickled and then everyone was running around screaming "Tickle me, Auntie Amanda, tickle me Nurse Katie, tickle me!" It was a wonderful moment where Amanda and I were able to love on these kids and play with them just the way my mum played with me when I was little. It was such a tender moment. These darling children although having very special house mothers who love and care for them sometimes miss out on these unique and special moments as their house mum's have 10 or so children to care for and don't have enough hands to cook, clean and tickle at the same time! These moments that I had as a child and that I have now been able to share with some wonderful little girls here and will remain with me for a long time.


So, as I prepare for the next few weeks I am going to strive in God's strength to do my best and finish this part of my race well. When I was at my Nan's funeral last week, at the cemetery and during the burial our Minister read out some verses that my Nan had always had as her favourite and had requested to be read. Psalm 121 v 1-2  "I lift my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." I used to read these verses when I was sitting in the mountains in Zimbabwe during my first mission trip and again I am reminded of these verses as I sit here today preparing for what will be a fun, exciting and tough few weeks as I prepare to say goodbye to some very special people.



3 comments:

  1. Good endings are so important, Goodbyes are tough because you'll miss the people you love. Counting down the days to saying 'hello' to you. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry ...... and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge will award me on that day - and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy ch. 4 v 5 - 8.

    Praying for you as you "finish well" in the work the Lord has given you to do. God Bless you. Love Mum x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you katie my prayers are with you xx

    Denise x

    ReplyDelete