Friday 13 January 2012

Happy 2012!!!!

A few highlights of our New Year celebrations at GSF

Every child had a chance to 'hit' the pinatas we made. FUN!!

The scramble for goodies!!


Even the house mum's had a turn - they chose the metal baseball bat over the wooden stick!!

Singing songs and sharing a blessing each around the camp fire waiting for midnight to strike

BBQ-ed goat on a stick

Phillip pulling scary faces with his new torch and enjoying all the glow sticks. The older children were allowed to stay up and play games in the dark (and it was DARK - no power at all!) with only glow sticks for light!!

Dancing the night away :)

As I look back and reflect on what 2011 held it feels as though it has been a whirlwind of an adventure. I started the year in the middle of a fundraising race, gathering funds that would support me to be here doing just what God has called me to do and to live a dream that for years was just that. How crazy it is that I now get to say that I live in Africa! Some days I have to pinch myself!  

Since coming to Uganda I have been blessed in meeting so many beautiful people, in making lifelong friends, in doing a work where I get to make a difference to someones life. I feel blessed to have been given the opportunities I have and have made a mountain of memories and learnt so much along the way. 

2011has taught me many things which a year ago would never have even been on my radar.
- I have learnt and am still learning to be more patient (this is a must when living with 80 children in a community!) and giving of my time. 
 - I try to not get stressed out over things which I really should know better by now after 5 months of living here, like wearing a white T-shirt in a place where orange dust blows around and makes it brown, every time...and if the dust doesn't get you a big orange child's handprint will! Thank goodness for bleach!
- I have learnt to love my mosquito net. Some nights it honestly is a hassle but if a day passes that I haven't been bitten it's a big deal!!
- I have leant not to be surprised when when I open my kitchen cupboard and find cockroaches running around. That is a fact of life I am having to deal with living here.
- I am learning to continue to smile and thank our house helper when she has lovingly prepared lunch for us even though my heart sinks when I see more Posho, cabbage and beans before me.
- I have learnt how much I truly appreciate, love, miss and long for hugs from my dear family and friends.
- I have learnt to be so appreciative when the power is on and to remember what a privilege it is for us when it isn't.

This list could go on and on and each thought reminds me that somedays it is a dream being here and sometimes it is just plain tough. My dreams, expectations and faith are tested every day and I have to remember daily to trust and lean on the one who sent me here, who knows better than I do what can be achieved by serving Him here. In the bustle of busy work, fun games, laughter over mealtimes, exciting adventures and new experiences I still sometimes feel sad with homesickness and overwhelmed by the role I am in. Often the simple frustration of not being able to communicate with someone as they don't speak English is enough to 'tip' me over the edge...but then God blesses me and smiles on me and does something like putting a group of toddlers in my path who will rush up to me and shower me with hugs and love. I will be moaning to myself when the alarm goes off at 6.30am because I have to do morning rounds and then I go outside into the stillness of the morning and see the beautiful African sunrise and the mist in the valley. In the craziness of driving through villages and seeing real life poverty like I used to watch on TV appeals, God reminds me of his love and power in the simplest of things such as a smile, a touch and the warm sun on my skin.

2011 has been good. It has taught me lots, given me memories I will always treasure in my heart, helped me to grow and made me rely on God for my needs. 
2011 also showed me how absolutely wonderfully blessed I am to have had so many friends, family, supporters and encouragers behind me on this journey. For those of you who were, still are or are just joining this journey with me I want to thank you. YOU have given generously of time, money, support and love and that is one of the things that has kept me going. To know that my blog is still being read blows me away - thank you for sticking with me this far!! You are a daily blessing to me.


2012 excites me. I have another 6 months of living in this beautiful country with all the challenges, excitement and blessings that it brings and then...who knows! I know that I am very excited (yes, already!) to hug my family and friends at the airport, to wear jeans when I want to & to ditch the skirts, to be able to drive to a friends and eat food I love but for now I will cherish and soak up all the challenges, simple delights and moments that being in Uganda is giving me. 


Psalm 107:1 "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."



2 comments:

  1. Katie, I love your honesty and your heart. It is a blessing to have met you and, while I hate the internet for many reasons, I am so thankful that it allows us to stay connected with you all and the wonderful people at GSF.

    Love,
    Jenn & Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, I love reading your Blog and the latest instalment of Life in Uganda! Enjoy every moment, because before you know it July will be here and you will be leaving behind all these very special children and adults at GSF who are now your friends. Praying for you everyday. Love and hugs Mum x x x

    ReplyDelete